There is research that shows exposure to electromagnetic fields (EMF) can cause health problems. For children aged eight to 17, a 2010 study determined that exposure to EMF for even the short term caused irritation, problems concentrating in school and headaches. Chronic EMF exposure was shown to be the cause of physiological stress in cells after only about a year and a half, according to a 2012 study. When compares to conventional heating, EMF can be harmful to cells even at levels that are much lower. Some research has shown that EMF is dangerous at levels that are only one billionth of what conventional heating needs to be harmful. More than ever, people should look to protection such as EMF shielding fabric.
If you want to protect yourself and your family from EMF, there are some things you can absolutely do this. The first thing you need to do is work on your home. Most of us spend a lot of time in our homes so making these places as safe as possible from EMF is very important. Knowing where the EMF in your home is coming from is your first step. It is not coming primarily from outside your home but the devices we all love so much are more the cause. Wearing clothing with EMF shielding fabric is one thing you can do but you can also arm yourself with knowledge.
What kinds of EMF are in my home?
There are two different kinds of EMF in your home. You have radio frequency EMF. This is from radio communications that alternate quickly at speeds higher than one billion cycles per second. This is also called 1 Gigahertz (GHz).
Low frequency EMF is the main culprit in your home. It is generated by your home’s electrical wiring and your appliances. This EMF has cycles of between 50 and 60 times per second. This is also referred to as Hertz (Hz). These cycles are very slow.
- Learn how EMF penetrates your home. Low level EMF can penetrate both floors and walls. It can get through brick, wood, metal, concrete, pretty much anything. It is hard to block. Radio EMF can be blocked by almost anything. The only things that can block the low level EMF have been specifically designed to do so. EMF shielding fabric is made of a material that can block it.
- Low Level EMF does not travel far. Over any distance, EMF levels get weaker. Low level EMF diminishes over distance much quicker than radio EMF. Even several inches can provide protection from EMF that emanates from your electrical appliances, for instance. This does not work with radio EMF, it is used for communications because it travels so well. You need other protection from it beyond moving away from its source. EMF shielding fabric can help you here as well.
- Maintain your distance from your appliances. Experts recommend staying at least three feet from your appliances. This is one of the best things you can do to protect yourself from EMF. Now, you may not be able to stand that far away from your electric stove when you are cooking but remember, even a few inches matter so just try to stand as far from the appliance as you can. All of your appliances and devices that use power produce low level EMF. That includes computers, power tools, televisions, device chargers, etc. You should not assume that small devices produce less EMF, many produce more. Battery chargers, for instance, are some of the worst offenders. Your cell phone charger can do more damage than larger appliances. The best thing to do is just stay at least three feet from all of it when possible.
- Turn your devices off when you are not using them. This should be done anyway, not just for EMF safety. If you are not using your microwave (this is bad offender in terms of EMF), unplug it. Turn your wireless modem and router off at night. Whenever you are not using a device or appliance, just turn it off. This is good for your budget, the planet and protects you from EMF.
The EMF dangers are well known but so are ways in which you can protect yourself and your family.
Shop Smart Magazine
Latest posts by Shop Smart Magazine (see all)
- The Latest and Greatest in All Celeb Gossip - January 17, 2018
- How Switching to Reusbale Grocery Bags Can Help the Environment - January 16, 2018
- Archery Supplies and Other Sports Gear Make Popular Gifts - January 6, 2018